Greek Style Nachos with Baked Pitas - inspired by Sandra Lee
2 T EVOO
4-6 tsp Greek seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T minced onion
1 lb groung lamb, beef or venison (although 1/2 lb would be MORE than enough)
1 cup hummus
1 cup tzatiki
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cucumber, finely chopped
1/2 red oinion, finely chopped
1/2 can sliced black olives
1 cup lettuce, shredded
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. Brown meat with garlic, minced onion and 2 tsp Greek seasoning. Drain. Meanwhile, prepare pitas and toppings. For pitas, use a pizza cutter to section each one into 8 wedges. Arrange on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tsp Greek seasoning. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes, until brown and crispy. Chop all toppings.
2. Spread hummus along the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining Greek seasoning. This isn't really all that necessary but I only had a little bit left so I used it up.
3. Top with ground meat. Like I said, I used an entire pound but 1/2 would have been more than enough. I now wish I had kept the other half to put on pizza tonight.
4. Top with tzatiki. Don't worry - I will never figure out how to spell this word.
5. Top with remaining toppings, ending with feta cheese.
Serve with baked pita chips and/or regular tortilla chips. This makes a delicious appetizer or an interesting meal. We had it for our meal with cucumber dill salad. The only problem is, we ate less than half of it and it doesn't do to well as leftovers.