Saturday, October 17, 2009

French Onion Soup

French Onion soup is on the top of my list in terms of 'favorites'. I often order it at restaurants and it's one thing that I can never seem to get sick of. I've made it a few times on my own but this week's version has been the best so far. I might even go so far as to say that it was comparable to my favorite restaurant version which is from The Keg.

French Onion Soup
4 cups sliced onions (I used Spanish)
Olive oil
Salt
6 cups chicken broth (it really should be beef but I didn't have any)
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 good shake of Worcestershire sauce
Pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
6 slices crusty french bread
1 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella but aa stronger cheese is ideal)

1. Coat a large stockpot with olive oil. Add sliced onions and toss to coat. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until onions are soft and beginning to brown.

2. Reduce heat and caramelize onions for 20-30 minutes until a deep golden brown and reduced by about half.

3. Add sherry and cook until reduced by half.

4. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and pepper. Boil for 30 minutes to an hour.

5. Ladle soup into oven safe soup bowls. Top with a slice of crusty french bread. Cover with cheese.

6. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

Makes 6 servings.

2 comments: