Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This recipe is a family favourite from my in-laws. In fact, I do believe the original recipe came from my brother-in-law. Fabulous dude's mom makes it occasionally and so I thought I'd serve it for dinner when his sister and her kids were here on the weekend.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
Chicken pieces (we used bone-in breasts and thighs with the skins removed)
1 cup ketchup
1 cup vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1-2 tsp garlic
2 tbsp cornstarch (or more)

1. Heat oven to 350. Place chicken pieces in a baking dish or roast pan. Season with salt and pepper and place in oven.

2. Meanwhile, stir together ketchup, vinegar, sugar, garlic and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Heat until nearly boiling, stirring often. Add more if necessary, until sauce begins to thicken.

3. Once chicken has been baking for 10-15 minutes, remove from oven and pour sauce over it. Return to oven and continue baking 30-40 minutes, until chicken is done.

4. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. If sauce is runny, add more cornstarch over heat on the stove to thicken.

5. Serve chicken and sauce with rice.

This sauce makes enough to cover much more chicken than I have shown here... probably enough to serve eight people.

Again, no photo of the final product because I had company and I didn't want to deal with the strange looks when I started snapping photos of the food.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm- interesting- I always think of sweet and sour chicken all breaded and stuff. This is way easier.

    ReplyDelete