1/2 cup fancy molasses
1/2 granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
1/2 butter (softened)
1/2 T baking soda, dissolved in water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 T ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
2 1/3 c flour
1. Heat molasses until boiling. Add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
2. Add butter and dissolved baking soda. Stir until butter is entirely melted. Cool.
3. Add eggs slowly while stirring.
4. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to molasses. Stir to combine, adding more flour if necessary. Dough will be sticky and somewhat runny at this point. Chill for 30 minutes to one hour until the dough is firm.
5. Break dough into small pieces, roll into a ball. Coat with granulated sugar. Place well spaced out on a baking sheet, and press down gently with a fork.
6. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on pan for 10 minutes and then remove and place on wire cooling rack. Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.