This loaf has an interesting flavour and texture. It is yummy toasted and topped with some butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for a sweet treat. Like I mention below, I would recommend adding more cherries and leaving them whole (as the original recipe suggested) so that there are cherry pieces throughout the bread. Also, the recipe suggested using jumbo chocolate chips or chocolate chunks rather than normal chocolate chips. They take longer to melt and so by using them, you will increase the chance of have chocolate pockets throughout the loaf rather than only having the chocolate flavour of the melted chips. Also, if using the dough cycle I don't think it would hurt to knead the chocolate chips in at the end of the cycle, before baking. If anyone else tries this recipe, please give me feedback about your results!
Black Forest Bread - modified from here
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg (or 3 tbsp + 2 tsp egg substitute)
Just less than 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups bread flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 2 cups all purpose)
3 tablespoons milk powder
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1-1/4 teaspoons yeast
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup fresh sweet cherries, pitted (I cut mine very small but then the bread maker chopped them up so there are no cherry chunks in the bread, just cherry flavour. I would recommend tossing them in whole so there are pieces of cherry throughout the loaves. I would also suggest increasing the amount to 1/2 cup)
1. Add all ingredients except cherries and chocolate chips into bread pan in order suggested by your manufacturer.
2. Select sweet cycle OR dough cycle.
3. Add cherries and chocolate chips at add ingredient signal. Continue cycle.
4. If using dough cycle, turn out dough onto floured surface after cycle is complete. Let rest for 10 minutes. Place in greased loaf pan. I divided the dough into four portions and put it in mini loaf pans.
5. Let rise for 20ish minutes.
6. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Tent and continue baking for 20-30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
Makes 1 large loaf or 4 mini loaves.