Sunday, September 6, 2009

Plum Butter

We got a bunch of plums from one of the trees in the back orchard and I remembered seeing Gayle's recipe for Plum Butter a few days ago so I decided to give it a try.

Plum Butter - from The Grocery Cart Challenge
7 L plums
4-5 cups sugar, to taste

1. Wash plums and chop the pits out. Throw them in a big pot, skin and all.

2. Boil until skins dissolved and fruit becomes syrupy with just a few clumps in it. I used my masher to hurry the process along a bit. I would say it took about 45 minutes.

3. When fruit has reached a desired consistency, add sugar, stirring constantly. Taste it to get the desired sweetness. I found that between 4 and 5 cups left the mixture tasting somewhat tart but still delicious. Boil until mixture begins to thicken. I tested the thickness by placing a dessert bowl in the freezer and placing some of the plum butter on it. As it cooled, it thickened to a texture that I thought would be good for plum butter.

Makes 8 1/2 pints.

My mom and I think that this will be delicious on toast and also as a dipping sauce for shrimp, chicken or appetizers (hello, Plum Sauce!)

This recipe is being shared at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. awesome! i bet you could make this with peach/nectarine too. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love plums. Your recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen pear butter and apple butter, but never plum butter. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I would love for you to join me at Diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com for Crock Pot Wednesday. It's easy, fun and economical! Come on over and check it out.

    ReplyDelete