Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes

The other night, I had a hankering for a good old fashioned meal. Since we had found a great sale on Smoked Ham, I decided to make ham, scalloped potatoes, peas, carrots and biscuits. Unfortunately, I had an, um, less than pleasant experience with the carrots, so we ended up carrotless. SnoWhite, remember your carrot mishap? The exact same thing happened to me! Anyway, we were just fine with ham, scalloped potatoes, peas and buttermilk biscuits. It was some good old fashioned home cooking, just what I needed!

Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes - from BHG
1 T butter
1 clove garlic
1/2 T minced onion (or one fresh onion, chopped)
2 T flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
4-5 potatoes, very thinly sliced (you can peel them if you'd like but I didn't bother)

Slice potatoes as thinly as possible.

Melt butter in a small saucepan with garlic and onion, until garlic smell is strong.

Stir in flour, salt and pepper.

Pour in milk. Stir to combine.

Cook until thick and bubbly.

Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.

Grease 8x8 baking dish. Arrange half of the potatoes in the dish.

Cover with half the sauce.

Layer remaining potatoes on top of the sauce and cover with remaining sauce.

Bake, covered, in a 350 oven for about 1 hour. Remove cover and continue baking for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender and cheese sauce is crispy.

Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. I made this last night but I added some bacon to it. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog... what fun! You should have a big star on the picture of the recipes that your man absolutely loves!

    ReplyDelete