Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Barefoot Contessa's Herb Shrimp

For this weeks' Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge, we are all cooking with Barefoot Contessa! I chose to make the herb shrimp, which is actually supposed to be grilled herb shrimp cooked on skewers, but the FD wasn't home in time the evening we were having this and well, I don't know how to work the grill. So, pan fried herb shrimp it was. The recipe was delicious although VERY salty. She calls for two teaspoons of salt in the marinade and I put less than 1/4 teaspoon in and it was still too salty. I would suggest leaving the salt out all together. Perhaps the taste would have been less salty had we grilled them, I don't know?

Grilled Herb Shrimp
- from Ina Garten
2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined (see note)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, small-diced
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt (or less)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 lemon, juiced

Combine all the ingredients and allow them to marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Heat a pan over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon to drain as much excess marinade as possible (mine were too oily), transfer the shrimp the hot pan.

Cook about 1-2 minutes per side, until shrimp are pink.

Ina's instructions (which would probably be so tasty): Skewer the shrimp. I use 3 or 4 shrimp on a 12-inch skewer for dinner. Heat a grill with coals and brush the grill with oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking. Grill the shrimp for only 1 1/2 minutes on each side.

Note: I leave the tails on when I'm peeling the shrimp.

10 comments:

  1. This looks great. I stocked up on shrimp a while back when they went on sale, so i am looking for recipes that will help me clean out that stockpile! Have a question - how strong is the mustard flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Hahaha I don't know how to use the grill either. I tried once and the flames scared me so I turned it off.....I really should join in on this Food Network thing one week. I think that's where I get most my recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I was thinking out of all the chefs so far, her recipes used the least salt. These people like their sodium apparently *L*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even like sea food and this looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Food Network in general over salts their recipes:-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love shrimp - looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love shrimp and this looks great. We have noticed lots of FN recipes that have way too much salt. LOTS of them. Hmmmm...
    Anyway, thanks for participating in FNCCC! It's fun to see what everyone chooses and what works and what doesn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've noticed they use alot of salt in their recipes too. But yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been craving shrimp lately, so when I saw this my mouth watered. :) This looks delicious! And, if it makes you feel any better . . . I don't know how to use the grill either, so I would probably pan cook these as well. hehe

    ReplyDelete