It's been a while since I've posted a new bread recipe. Lately, I have been in the habit of making this recipe on a fairly regular basis. It is one of our favourites and so I have stopped looking for new, exciting recipes. So, today I decided to switch it up a bit.
Black Pepper Onion Bread - modified from Recipezaar
1 cup water 1 tablespoon oil 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 3 tablespoons milk powder
1 tablespoon sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons minced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
3/4 teaspoon black pepper (I used freshly ground)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1. Add all ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed. Ensure that the garlic and yeast are not touching. (Garlic inhibits yeast so it is important to remember this).
2. Select dough cycle and start. When cycle is complete, turn dough out onto floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
3. Knead gently, shape and place in greased loaf pan.
4. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 20-30 minutes, until the dough is just cresting the edge of the pan.
5. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Tent with foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
The verdict: it is a very tasty and aromatic loaf. The pepper taste is quite strong so if you are not a fan of black pepper, I would recommend reducing the amount to 1/4-1/2 teaspoon.