Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Crunchy Granola Bars

I wanted to make granola bars to take on our trip with us but I didn't have all the ingredients to make the recipe that I usually make. So, I headed over to Joy in my Kitchen (surprise, surprise) and checked out her other recipes. I decided to give the crunchy granola bars a try.

Crunchy Granola Bars - modified ever so slightly from Joy in My Kitchen
2 cups instant oats
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup seeds (I used sesame, sunflower and flax)
2 tbsp dried apricots

1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

2. Add honey and vanilla. Use a fork to stir and make dough into clumps. Mix in chocolate chips, seeds and apricots.

3. Press dough into a greased 9x13 pan. The dough will be very crumbly but press it down the best you can. As it cooks, the honey will melt and stick everything together.

4. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until brown. Allow to cool and cut into bars.

The verdict: I found these to be more cookie like than granola bar like, but they are still delicious! Make sure you mix the wet ingredients in very thoroughly because some of my bars came out a bit crumbly with flour visible on the top (as you can see in the photo).

4 comments:

  1. mmmmm, I hope there is some left when you get up there! But, with your E and L's E....I highly doubt it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you like them! I'm still working to find the perfect recipe... until then, we enjoy lots of different granola bar recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't she always have just what you need? She is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granola Getaways recipes will usually cost you less and be healthier than prepackaged granolas available from grocery and health food stores.

    Healthy Granola Recipes

    ReplyDelete