On the weekend, we got to try out our new ice cream maker for the first time! It was so quick, easy and delicious!
I used SnoWhite's vanilla ice cream recipe for the base and added thin mints for a little flair!
Thin Mint Ice Cream - modified from SnoWhite
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups half and half
1 cup whipping cream
3 tsp vanilla
1 cup crushed thin mints (about 10 cookies)
Extra thin mints for garnishing if desired
1. Break cookies into chunks.
2. Mix together all remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
3. Place frozen mixing bowl on base of ice cream maker. Insert mixing arm and place lid on top. Turn on machine and immediately pour in liquid ingredients (no cookies yet).
4. Let the ice cream maker mix for about 30 minutes, until desired thickness is almost reached.
5. Add cookies and continue mixing for 5-10 minutes.
6. Scoop into serving bowls and serve immediately as soft serve or freeze in freezer safe containers for at least 2 hours to harden it up.
Makes 6 servings.
This was such a tasty treat and definitely a hit for our first try at homemade ice cream. The only thing I will do differently next time is perhaps add a hint of mint flavoring to the ice cream base itself as the thin mints made a yummy cookies and cream ice cream but the mint flavor could have been stronger for my liking.
Be prepared for lots of ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet recipes coming over the next few months. I plan on getting plenty of use out of this new toy ... especially if the heat keeps up!