Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

Don't let all these blueberry recipes fool you - we don't have fresh blueberries just yet ... In fact, I'm just trying to use up the last few that are still kicking around the freezer since last year. I can't believe I still have any left!

This is the first recipe that I made from the Family Cookbook that my aunt put together that features all of my Grandma's most famous recipes. Smelling the muffins baking in the oven reminded me of sitting in Grandma's kitchen, watching her work and learning from her.

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins - from Grandma Vine
1 cup oats
1 cup sour milk (add 1 T vinegar to just shy of a cup of milk and let it sit for 10 minutes)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 oil or butter (melted)
1 cup blueberries

1. Combine oats and milk in one bowl.

2. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

3. Beat egg and add to milk mixture along with oil and blueberries.

4. Slowly add to dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.

5. Transfer to muffin tins.


6. Bake at 400 for 15-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Makes one dozen muffins.

1 comment: