Friday, August 28, 2009

Fried Okra

I tried growing Okra in the garden this year. When I told people this, most of them laughed and said "let me know how that goes". You see, Southern Ontario doesn't really have a climate that okra needs to thrive. Especially not this year! We've had a cold, wet summer for the most part. However, the plants still grew and I have been getting some okra off of them. Not too much, but enough to have a little taste of it a few times through the summer. So far, the only thing I've made with it is fried okra because that's all I really know. Before growing it, I had only tried it once. I'm not sure I want to try anything else though, because I just love it this way.

Sidenote: I am not from the south, nor do I claim to be. If I have completely defiled this dish, please forgive me
and set me straight.

Fried Okra
5-6 okra pods
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

1. Slice okra into 1/2 inch slices. Soak in buttermilk for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl.

2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the okra to the cornmeal mixture, draining off as much milk as possible.

3. Coat okra with cornmeal mixture.

4. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and add okra. Fry until brown and crispy. Enjoy!

Makes 2-4 servings (2 if I'm eating it - 4 if normal people are eating it).

This recipe is being shared at the Grocery Cart Challenge recipe swap.

9 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! The are going on my to-make list.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have a few ways to make okra, too,(Okra & Tomatoes, and Gumbo) and this is by far my favorite. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Okra! Our Summer has been cold and wet too, for the most part. Our tomatoes aren't even ripening, it's so cold.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried Okra is something I could eat with every meal..... I love it Looks so good.

    I wish my husband liked it.... so I never get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fried okra. It's my all time favorite. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Can't wait to make this. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm I LOVE fried okra. It's been too long since I had some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm from the South and that is exactly how I fry it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fried okra is always tops on our list. I usually just cut mine up, rinse it in cold water, and batter it with nothing more than seasoned corn meal mix (adding in some cayenne pepper on occasion). I fry it a little at a time because we like it crispy. Hubby even eats it cold from the frig. We also like it pickled, but I don't make it. I find some good farm stand and just buy it.

    ReplyDelete