Monday, March 30, 2009

Chili

My SIL introduced me to this recipe a few years ago and since then, I've adjusted and readjusted and come up with something that both FD and I loveeeee! This recipe makes a load of chili so it's great for us because we can eat it once for supper, a few lunches and freeze the rest for the future.

1 lb ground meat
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 medium bell peppers, chopped (I usually use 1 red, 1 green)
2 large carrots, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cans beans (any combo - I usually use black and/or kidney beans)
28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
2 heaping tbsp chili powder
Dash salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin

1. Brown meat with onion and garlic in a large stockpot until meat is no longer pink. Drain, if necessary.

2. Add vegetables and simmer for 10-15 minutes.


3. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, ketchup, brown sugar and spices.

4. Simmer on medium-low for as long as you like. I usually make this in the morning and let it simmer all day if I make it on a day when I'm going to be home. Tonight, I made it in the pot, and turned it off after about 15 minutes. I will transfer it to the Crockpot tomorrow morning and let it simmer all day while I'm at school so it will be ready when I get home. Top with sour cream, corn chips, salsa and/or cheese, as desired.

Serve with chunky chili cornbread.

1 comment:

  1. I know why SnoWhite called this Lucy's Amazing Chili- Dang girl this is good stuff! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete