Saturday, March 7, 2009

Breadmaker Hamburger Buns

This recipe is great. I seriously never want to eat store bought burger buns again. I have only tried them with white flour. I would like to experiment making them whole wheat but every time I've made them, I have been making them for a crowd so I didn't want to risk it.

Breadmaker Hamburger Buns

1 1/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dry skim milk powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoon bread maker yeast

ETA: Since I wrote this post I have made these a number of times. Now I usually do 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 3/4 cups all purpose. Just fiddle with the proportions of flour to suit your tastes.

1. Whisk together water and milk powder (you can also use 1 1/4 cup skim milk).

2. Add ingredients to bread pan in order listed. Select dough cycle. Press start.

3. When cycle is complete, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.

4. Split dough into four portions. Roll first portion to about 1 inch thickness. Use a round glass or cutter to punch out small circles. Place in a baking sheet, almost touching. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45-60 minutes, until doubled in size. If desired, brush with melted butter and sesame seeds.

5. Heat oven to 350-375 (depending on your oven) and bake for 15-20 minutes, until they sound hallow when you tap them on the top. This should make 12 burger buns. You can also make hot dog or sausage buns by separating dough into 12 portions, rolling into small snakes and placing side by side on a baking sheet (almost touching).

We have found these to be the perfect hamburger bun recipe. Check out the GCC for more great recipes.

Also, if you have entered yet, go check out this post and enter my 100th post giveaway.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lucy, I just made these with my new bread maker and I loved them! I can't wait to try more. I have a question for you. I know you make soft pretzels sometimes, I tried a recipe on Monday, and for the most part everything was really good. However, like 3 of the pretzels shriveled up when I took them out of the water. Do you know why? I'm wondering if I just boiled them too long...? Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making these tonight for a bbq - will let you kbow how they turn out

    ReplyDelete