Saturday, June 13, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Cake

Today I went on an apple-stuff-making frenzy. I had a bag of apples in the cold room that I had kind of forgotten about. They were quickly nearing the end of their life so I thought I had better do something about it and FAST.

Apple Cinnamon Cake
- modified from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cooking oil (OR, replace with applesauce. I just wasn't very organized and accidentally made this cake before I made my applesauce)
1 tbsp vanilla
3 generous cups apples, peeled and chopped
A handful of chopped pecans, if desired.

1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour a 9x13 pan, set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, lemon, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine sugars, oils, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add flour and beat on low until just combined. Fold in apples and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pan. This batter is NOT runny. It may seem quite dry but don't worry because the moisture from the apples will be enough to moisten it while cooking.


3. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out smooth.

Not my favourite apple cake recipe in the history of the world - I think it could use some more adaptation. Including reducing the amount of oil and sugar (yuck) and reducing the amount of allspice (yuck, again). It was tasty and moist, but not perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Try replacing the all-spice with nutmeg... :)

    I have a recipe for my father-in-law's apple cake -- he loves it, and we enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete