Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Squash and Sausage Penne

Squash and Sausage Penne - modified from Cooking for Two

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
2 tsp olive oil
2/3 cup white cooking wine
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup pureed squash (the recipe calls for canned pumpkin but when I first made it I had squash in the freezer so I have always made it that way)
1 1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg
1/2 cup half and half (I always just use water mixed with skim milk powder)
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. I have also made this with homemade linguine, although I prefer it with a shaped pasta such as penne, rotini etc. I now have a pasta maker, so I have been a little more experimental with homemade pasta but I still haven't perfected it.

2. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain grease and place cooked sausage in a bowl.

3. In the same skillet, saute onion, mushrooms and garlic with olive oil until tender.

4. Add wine and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cook until liquid is reduced by half (about 10 minutes).

5. Stir in broth, squash, sage, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook 1 minute longer.

6. Add the sausage, cream, salt and pepper. Heat until thickened.

7. Place cooked pasta in a serving bowl, top with sausage mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.

Seriously. This is tres yummy. The flavours are so unique and meld together to make one delicious pasta dish. It has quickly become a family favourite.

Check out the Grocery Cart Challenge to see what everyone else is cooking up this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment