Friday, October 2, 2009
Sweet and Sour Pork
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pork
3.5 lbs pork sirloin roast, cubed
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used 1.5 green, .5 red)
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/ cup water
1.5 T soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/2 can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup plum sauce
1/4 cup Thai sauce
1. Place cubed pork in a large slow cooker. Cover with vegetables.
2. Drain juice from pineapple. Put pineapple in the fridge for later and reserve juice.
3. Mix together pineapple juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, and water.
4. Pour mixture over pork and stir to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight. I did this because I had time but if you don't have time, I don't think it would be necessary.
5. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. About 30 minute before the end of cooking time drain mixture into a colander to get rid of some of the juice. Return to crock pot. Add 1/2 can of pineapple. Mix together ketchup, plum sauce and Thai sauce and stir in. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes**. Serve with brown rice.
Makes 8-10 servings.
**The only reason that I have instructed to add these close to the end is because it was an afterthought. I made the sweet and sour pork but when we looked at it close to serving time, we didn't like the way it looked because there was hardly any sauce on it. So, the fabulous dude ended up throwing those things on it and it tasted good. I'm sure you could just add everything in one shot, but I can't guarantee what the results would be.
This recipe is being linked at The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap