Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apple Pie

Nothing screams autumn like a fresh apple pie. This is the recipe that was passed down to me from my mother that I have used to make many an apple pie.

Mumma's Apple Pie - makes one double crust pie (I doubled the recipe in the photos below)
1/3 recipe homemade pastry
5-8 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4-5 cups)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 T flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 T butter

1. Peel and slice apples into a large bowl.

2. Cover with sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix well. You can also mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and then sprinkle over the apples.

3. Spread apples into an unbaked crust.

4. Cover with second crust. Seal edges and cut away remaining dough. Cut air holes into the top crust.

5. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes until crust is golden and apples are bubbly.

6. And, of course, don't forget the most important step - make pie crust cookies with the leftover pastry!

5 comments:

  1. I love a smell of apple pies baking in the oven, but I love eating a GREAT!!! apple pie even more. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love apple pie -- and your crusts look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMM!!! Apple pie is one of my favorites. I have a great recipe for sour cream apple pie - it is TO DIE FOR. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'd love a little bite of it about now with some rich vanilla ice cream melting on top and running down the sides. The last time I judged a competition at the fair, the apple pie won best all around!
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall be doing this for sure with my 1 billion apples I now have!!! What a perfect time for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete