Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer Pasta Salad

During the hot months, pasta salad is at the top of my list for an light, yet satisfying lunch. I often make a large batch and have it carry over for a few days. Last Saturday it was hot and I was on my own for lunch so this hit the spot! The recipe I have listed makes enough for 2 or 3 people as an entire lunch or more for side dishes. It can easily be increased to meet your needs! There are a number of ways you can change up this salad and some of my personal choices I have included with ** throughout the post. The salad that is featured in the photos is a fairly basic version that doesn't have any of the extra additions.

Summer Pasta Salad


For The Salad:
225 g dried whole wheat penne
1/4 cucumber, diced
1 roma tomato, diced
1/3 cup broccoli florets, cut in small pieces
1/3 cup carrots, cut in small pieces
1/4 cup sliced black olives
** Canned artichoke hearts are delicious cut into this salad as well, I just didn't have any in the pantry :( **If you want to add meat, you can add some flaked tuna or chicken - also good.
1/4 cup crumbled light feta cheese

For The Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp oregano
**This dressing is a very light coating on the salad, which is the way I prefer it. Let the flavor of those veggies shine! If you are looking for a heavier dressing, you may want to double this.

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, chop and prepare veggies.

2. Drain pasta and run cold water over to cool.

3. Whisk together evoo, vinegar, salt, pepper, minced onion and oregano for dressing.

4. Pour over pasta and toss to coat.

5. Add veggies and cheese. Toss to coat.

Chill for at least 20-30 minutes before serving.

Makes 2 large, lunch sized servings or a number of side dish servings (also a great potluck or summer picnic option!)

Enjoy on the patio with a big glass of sweet tea.

4 comments:

  1. Lucy this looks light and delicious. I think I'll make some to keep in the fridge for quick lunches over the weekend. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta salad is one of my go-to summer meals. Yum!
    Sweet tea. I guess summer has in fact arrived at your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you make your sweet tea?? It's my fav, but mine never tastes like America.

    ReplyDelete