Friday, December 18, 2009

Green Bean Casserole

Here is another one of those "let's de-healthify some good ol' veggies" recipes. I was first introduced to green bean casserole a number of years ago and since then, I believe that it has become a staple on the Thanksgiving and Christmas table of many many families. I am sure you all have your variation on this recipe and most are probably similar to mine but because I made it earlier this week to send with FD to his work potluck, along with yummy cheesy carrots, I thought I'd post my version of the oh-so-popular green bean casserole. I have listed the amount of some of the ingredients fairly flexibly because it can be adjusted to taste, depending on how many beans you are using.

Green Bean Casserole
4-6 cups fresh or frozen green beans (or 2 cans)
1-1 1/2 cans mushroom soup
1/2-3/4 can milk
1 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 can French's fried onions.

1. Cook the beans if using fresh or frozen. No need to cook if using canned beans. Drain and place in 9x13 baking dish or large casserole dish.

2. In a medium bowl combine soup, milk, pepper and mozzarella cheese.

3. Pour over beans and stir to combine. Add 1/4-1/2 of the can of French's fried onions and mix in. I like to use less of the onions in the casserole and save more to go on top. I also *sometimes* snitch a few to eat just as is. I seriously love those things!

4. Cover and bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes, until heated and bubbling. Remove from oven, uncover, top with remaining onions and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes until onions are browned.

Enjoy! Makes 8 servings.

This post is being shared at the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

1 comment: