Monday, June 8, 2009

Lime Squares


Lemon squares are one of my very favourite desserts. I think most of the world would agree with me - except my husband. He hates lemon squares. Yes, I am pretty sure he is loco. So I decided to switch it up a bit and make Lime Squares and hope for a better reaction. I achieved my goal.

Lime Squares
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp lime zest
1/3 cup lime juice (I squeezed the juice from the lime I zested which gave me just under 1/4 cup. Then I topped it up with bottled lime juice)
Sifted icing sugar

1. Combine 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup icing sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse oatmeal. Firmly press mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until brown.


2. Combine remaining 1/2 cup of flour and baking powder in a small bowl.

3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, lime rind, and lime juice.

4. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.

5. If desired, add a drop of lime juice to make the mixture look more lime-like. Pour over prepared crust.

6. Bake 25 minutes or until set and edges begin to brown slightly. Allow squares to cool and then sift with powdered sugar. Cut in squares and serve with strawberries and whipped cream.


This recipe is being shared in the Grocery Cart Challenge Friday Recipe Swap!

1 comment: