Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chick Pea Salad

I know I haven't posted many recipes lately. I haven't been cooking much at all. We are only going to be home for two nights this week and then we're heading up north for a wedding so I don't want to have a lot of food kickin' around.

I do still need to eat lunch, however, and we've got lots of cherry tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden so I threw together a cool, refreshing, quick salad to last for a few days. I love chick peas. Growing up, I used to open a can of them and eat them as a snack. I'm also a huge fan of cool, chunky salads so this one hit the spot! Sorry about the horrible photos - I'm not sure what's wrong with my camera (blame it on the camera, right?)

Chick Pea Salad
2 cups cooked chick peas (or one can, rinsed and drained)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 T dried dill or parsley
Salt and Pepper
Red onion (if you've got it - would have made a great addition)
Dressing of your choice, if desired.

1. Place all ingredients, except dressing in a medium bowl and mix together. Ta da! If you pour the dressing over the entire salad, it might only stay fresh for a day. If you just leave the salad as is and put the dressing on each serving, it will stay fresh, covered in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. I prefer this salad on its own with no dressing but I know that most people would find that too bland. It is also good with an oil and balsamic vinegar dressing or Kraft's Pesto Parmasan dressing.

It's not fancy, it's not complicated, it's not even very creative. But it's just right! Paired with a tall glass of ice cold water, it makes the perfect lunch on a hot summer day.

This recipe will be linked up at the Ultimate Recipe Swap: Chill Out Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment