Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lemon Squares

Lemon squares are one of my very favorite desserts, so I decided to make them for a bridal shower I was hosting this past weekend. As I was making them, I realized I have not yet posted my recipe on my blog. Today is the day!
Lemon Squares - from BHG Cookbook
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 T flour
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup lemon juice (the juice from 3 lemons)
1/4 cup half and half (can also use light cream, or milk)
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cornstarch and salt.

Cut in butter until dough resembles coarse crumbs.

Press firmly into a well greased 9x13 baking dish.

Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes until golden.

Meanwhile, make filling.

Mix together eggs, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and half-and half.

Pour over hot crust immediately out of the oven.

Continue baking for 15-20 minutes until center is set.

Cool. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into bars and store covered in refrigerator.

Makes 3 dozen bars.

10 comments:

  1. This is the exact same recipe I use! I love my BHG cookbook, and these things are delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these this week too.. I think we all have lemon fever waiting for summer to arrive. I love your arrangement on the tray with the strawberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You weren't kidding saying you wanted lemon bars :)

    (oh... and I see your sidebar is back to normal... how did that work out?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon bars! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never was super crazy about lemon bars until I made them myself and fell in lemon love! Yours look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really looking forward to making these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kyle and I just made these and they taste AMAZING. So, so easy and they look just like yours!!!! We are clearly kitchen goddesses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon bars too- Chris however does not. So when I make them, I eat the whole batch. = ) oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi you won an award
    http://lindsayssmokealarm.blogspot.com/2010/05/awards.html
    love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you feel like cooking again soon... sure do miss your recipes. I am going through now to create some sort of menu for this week... just can't figure out what to make.

    ReplyDelete