Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole

Something has come over me lately! I seem to be fatally attracted to good breakfast dishes. This is the third one I've posted in the last month!

Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole - from my sister-in-law
10 slices reduced salt hickory smoked bacon, diced (about 1/2 lb)
1 cup chopped polish sausage (or you can just use a full pound of bacon, or sausage)
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 green pepper, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese

In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. Reserve a small amount of bacon grease and cook mushrooms and peppers, until soft. Combine bacon and onion mixture with mushrooms and peppers, add polish sausage.

In a bowl, beat eggs. Add potatoes and all cheeses.

Stir in bacon mixture.

Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6 servings (or more if you are serving other things with breakfast).

This recipe is being linked at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, and Tuesday's at the Table.

9 comments:

  1. looks fabulous... now you're making me want to make breakfast for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! This looks fantastic. I found your blog through SnoWhite's, and I'm so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, how wonderful!! Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I think I can smell that ! LOL looks really good!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the ingredients in this dish, the vegies, the cottage cheese, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete