Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ground Beef Curry

I copied this recipe from a magazine at my sister's house. I don't remember which magazine it was. If you know the source, please let me know! I put this recipe on the menu because I have fresh potatoes and carrots from the garden. Carrots weren't in the original recipe, but I thought they were a good addition.

Ground Beef Curry
Olive oil
2 cups onions, diced
1 T garlic, minced
1 tsp ground ginger
2 T curry powder (we thought it could have used more)
2 T tomato sauce
3/4 tsp salt
Pinch hot pepper flakes
1 lb ground beef
1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced (I used about 6-8 small potatoes)
3-4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 T soy sauce

1. In a large dutch oven (I used electric skillet), cook onions in oil until golden.

2. Add garlic and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes, until garlic is golden.

3. Add curry powder, tomato sauce, salt and hot pepper flakes. Stir. Cook two minutes.


4. Add beef and cook until browned. Add potatoes and carrots, cook for two minutes.

5. Add diced tomatoes, soy sauce and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender (about 15 minutes).

This dish was very hearty and tasty. The only problem with it is that it seemed as though it should be served over something and because there are potatoes in it, it would not be right to serve it over rice or noodles. Next time I might put squash, yams or just more carrots in the dish and serve it over rice.

This recipe is being shared at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and the Ultimate Recipe Swap: Where's the Beef Edition.

1 comment:

  1. I've got to thank you Lucy for this recipie; I was looking for a simple ground beef curry to use as a base for a Murghi Massala (grilled chicken pieces in a minced beef curry sauce) and this was perfect.

    I followed the recipie as you've given it but left out the potatoes and carrots - at the very end I added in fried slices of green pepper and the grilled chicken chunks, along with an extra cup of water, and then placed the skillet in the centre of the table for people to help themselves to, along with rice and Naan Bread; delicious!

    A hearty thumbs-up from my family and friends, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete