Monday, May 18, 2009

Hot Pockets

I had some puff pastry that had been living in my freezer for way too long so I decided it was about time that I did something with it. I remembered having seen this recipe a while back and decided to try something similar.

Hot Pockets

3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
6 slices deli meat (I used rosemary ham)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 pepper, finely chopped
1 can mushroom pieces, drained (Clearly I would have used fresh but I did not have any)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 cup cooked black beans
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup grated cheese (I used a combo of cheddar and mozzarella)

1. In a skillet, sautee onion, mushrooms, peas, meat, pepper, beans and garlic until warm. Season with salt and pepper. Add any other filling you think you might like such as pizza fillings, other meat.


2. Meanwhile, place one sheet of pastry out on clean surface.

3. Roll pastry until it is quite thin (as thin as you can get it).

4. Cut sheet into three sections, like so.

5. Place rectangles on baking sheet and add cheese and filling to one side. I did cheese, filling and then more cheese. I had a jar of pesto in the fridge that I was considering putting in some of them because I wasn't sure if I should have some kind of sauce. The original recipe used mustard, but I am not a fan. I decided against the pesto and I'm glad I did because they are delicious just as they are. Fold the empty side of the pastry over and pinch the edges to shut.


6. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until pastry is fluffy and lightly browned. If necessary, flip the pockets over and broil for 2-3 minutes to make the under side crunchy (I did not need to do this, they were fine).

If you are making these ahead of time, you can either freeze them individually and heat them in a toaster oven or microwave for 45 seconds or you can store them in an air tight container for up to one week and just heat them up as you go. If you use the microwave to heat them up, they may get a little soggy. I would recommend a toaster oven.

Makes 9 pockets. The filling that is listed would probably be enough to make more like 20 pockets but I only had three sheets of pastry and so that's all I could do. You may want to decrease the filling or get more puff pastry to make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment