Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Scallopine

A few weeks ago, I came across The Pioneer Woman's Chicken Scallopine recipe. I found myself thinking about this recipe all day and all night. Finally, I had had enough and decided to just hurry up and make it, already. And I was not disappointed. What a delicious treat this meal was. When reading the recipe I hemmed and hawed over whether or not I should fry the chicken in oil and butter as PW suggests or coat and bake the chicken for a - er - more healthy version of the meal. I decided for the first time making this recipe, I'd go ahead and follow her directions exactly. So, I fried. In butter. Because when Pioneer Woman speaks, I listen. However, as I decided that this recipe will go into our family favourite box, I regret to inform you that next time I will be foregoing the butter and baking the chicken.

Chicken Scallopine - from The Pioneer Woman
1 pound Linguine
1 pound Boneless, Skinless, Trimmed Chicken Breasts
Salt And Pepper (to Taste)
Flour
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons Butter
16 ounces White Mushrooms, Sliced Thin
1 cup Dry White Wine
2 T lemon juice
½ cups half and half
1 heaping tablespoon capers (Next time, I'll add more like 2-3 T)
Parsley
Parmesan Cheese, For Topping

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Place chicken breasts, one at a time, in between two sheets of saran wrap. Flatten each piece to uniform thickness.

Salt and pepper both sides.

Dredge in flour mixed with Parmesan cheese.

Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

Fry chicken breasts until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.

Remove to a plate and set aside.

Throw mushrooms into the pan and stir.

Immediately pour in wine, and then squeeze juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon (or just use 2 T lemon juice if you forget to buy lemons).

Stir to deglaze the pan, and then cook vigorously for 1 minute, until sauce reduces.

Pour in cream and stir.

Add capers and stir.

Turn off heat.

Stir and add salt and pepper to taste.

Place pasta and chicken on a platter and top with every last drop of sauce. Generously sprinkle Parmesan Cheese over the top.

Well, it may not look as perdy as PW's but it sure did taste good! Thanks, Ree, for such a yummy recipe.

Makes 4-6 servings.

2 comments: