I had some cheerios in the cupboard that have been sitting there for a bit too long. We tend to do this. We buy cereal, eat it consistently for a few days and then get bored. So, we end up with semi-stale cereal. I decided it was about time I used them up and this is what we ended up with...
Cheesy Cheerio Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup water
2 cups cheerios
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Place cheerios, about 1/4 cup at a time in a plastic bag. Use a rolling pan to crumble them. You could save yourself some work by grinding them in a food processor. You'd also be able to get the mixture finer this way. However, today I was in the mood to do more work and less dishes. Whatever works for you!
2. Place crushed cheerios in a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to crush any cheerios that survived the first round of torture.
4. Mix Italian seasoning, oregano, rosemary, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese with the cheerios.
5. Mix egg with water in a small bowl. Rinse chicken and dip into egg mixture.
6. Place chicken in cheerio mixture and coat.
9. Place in 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until coating is crispy and chicken is done.
Serves 4. Serve with Rosemary Roasted Vegetables and Maple Honey Roasted Potatoes.