I forgot to take pictures of this meal but it turned out really well. We ate it for dinner once and then I divided the rest into 6 freezer bags for later.
Mexi Chicken - modified from Frozen Assets
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
2 cups pearl barley
2 16 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
4 cups tomato sauce
One small can Mexican sauce
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 T chili powder
1 T cumin
4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
2 cups kidney beans
1. Cook onion, pepper and garlic in a bit of oil until tender in a large stock pot.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except chicken and beans.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often, until barley is tender.
5. Add chicken and beans and simmer an additional 10 minutes until heated through.
6. Cool, spoon into freezer bags, label and freeze.
Thaw in refrigerator. Heat mixture in skillet. Serve over multi-grain tortilla chips or in flour tortillas with a side salad.
Makes 18 servings.