Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

SnoWhite recently posted this recipe for whole wheat bread. I, like many others, I am sure, have gotten into the habit of making the same bread recipes over and over again. Most often, we enjoy harvest grain bread on a weekly basis. When I saw her post I decided to give the recipe a try because I wasn't sure if the little ones visiting on the weekend would be interested in bread that was full of grains and seeds. This recipe was a success. In fact, I ended up making it three times over the course of the weekend because our company kept gobbling it up for sandwiches and toast. I've already memorized the recipe because it is so simple.

Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread - from SnoWhite
1 cup warm water
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp honey
1 cup bread flour (or all purpose for my fellow Canadians)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dry milk powder
2 1/4 tsp yeast

1. Add ingredients to bread maker in order listed. Select whole wheat cycle or dough cycle.

2. If using the dough cycle, turn dough out onto floured surface using floured fingertips. This dough is quite sticky and stringy so it is somewhat difficult to work with. Just keep adding a bit of flour and you'll be fine.

3. Shape loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, until top is browned and sounds hallow when tapped.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you guys like it so much :) Great idea about adding the milk to the hot water! You're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good! I have never made homemade bread. I love eating it, but have never done it myself. Maybe I should try making it.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. can one not put any all-purpose in and just use three whole wheat flour cups?

    ReplyDelete