Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sesame and Flax Flat Bread

Sesame and Flax Flat Bread - modified from America's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes

1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup skim milk powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp EVOO
3 cups all purpose flour*
3/4 cups whole wheat flour*
1 1/4 tsp yeast
3/4 cups seeds (mixture of sesame and flax)

* I would have increased the proportion of whole wheat flour even further but I was using up the very last of what I had.

1. Measure all ingredients except seeds** into the bread pan. Select dough cycle.

2. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 4 equal portions.


3. Spread a handful of the seeds on the board and begin rolling one portion of the dough over top of them, so as to embed the seeds in the dough. Flip the dough numerous times to ensure that the seeds are pressed firmly into the dough. Roll as thin as possible. Repeat with all four portions. I found it best to roll one portion and then let it sit while I rolled the next portion. Then, I would go back to the first portion and roll it again to ensure it was as thin as possible.

3. Bake on preheated baking stone (375) for 15-18 minutes until brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Break into pieces. Store in air tight container for up to 2 months.

** I think next time it will work just as well to add the seeds directly to the dough. I found that by rolling them into the dough, many of the seeds fall off when breaking the bread into pieces. It was also very difficult to get the seeds to spread evenly throughout the dough this way. Also, I would love to try cutting the dough into long skinny strips with a pizza cutter after it's rolled but before baking.

It is very tasty though. I plan on serving it with a pesto and artichoke dip at a party I am hosting this weekend. It's also been quite yummy as a substitute for crackers with soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment