Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bannoffee Pie

If you were a reader of Lucy's Life all the way back last spring when I went on my vacation to Scotland, you may remember me raving about the deliciousness that is Bannoffee that I discovered while I was there. Since returning from my trip, I have only attempted on bannoffee recipe and it wasn't great, so I never posted it.

You can imagine my excitement when I discovered that this week's Food Network Cooking Chef's Challenge was Danny Boome and that he had a recipe for Bannoffee Pie. There was no question for me as to what I would be making.

I made a few slight changes to the recipe and switched up the order of some of the directions but kept to the basics, overall. I was very pleased with the results. It was rich and delicious! The only problem was that the FD's cousin said she doesn't like desserts with banana in them, because she doesn't like the noise they make? Umm, what?

Bannoffee Pie - adapted from Danny Boone
2 cups crushed graham crackers (about 1/2 box)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (or make your own from this recipe - this is what I did)
1/8 cup brown sugar (I don't know if this would be necessary if you were using canned sweetened milk but I needed it to help with the colour and the thickening of the milk)
2 large bananas
2 cups whipping cream
1/8 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 dark chocolate bar, grated

Add the crushed crackers to a food processor. Pour in the melted butter and pulse until it sticks together and the graham crackers get pulverized. Pour the graham cracker mixture into a 9-inch spring form pan and press with your hands or a 1 cup measure to evenly distribute on the bottom of the pan. Chill to set in the fridge while preparing the remaining ingredients.

Pour the can of condensed milk in a medium saucepan (or the ingredients for the homemade recipe and the brown sugar) and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes stirring frequently. Be careful not to burn as it sticks to the bottom of the pan.

Meanwhile, while the sweetened condensed milk is cooking, whip together whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff.

When the sweetened condensed milk is thick and toffee like, pour the toffee over the graham cracker base. Spread evenly. To test for desired thickness, place a small dessert bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Remove and drop a small amount of the sweetened milk onto the bowl. It will cool and become the consistency that it will be when set.

Slice the peeled bananas and arrange over the top covering the entire surface.

Spread whipping cream over the top.

Sprinkle top with grated chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 8 servings.

7 comments:

  1. That looks very tasty. Glad you found a recipe that works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks wonderful! do bananas make a funny noise? I haven't noticed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fantastic! I would even eat it if the bananas were making noise ;) Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about making this recipe. So glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good gracious! (Btw, I don't say Good gracious in real life. I'm not that old ;)This looks delicious. I have to agree with the others that I have never noticed the "sound of bananas". Maybe she's like the dog whisperer for fruits. Maybe they don't like being eaten. What do ya' think?! I dunno.
    Anywho, I would absolutely eat this. You can make it for me. K?!

    XO*T

    ReplyDelete
  6. They mention Bannoffee Pie in Love Actually and I had to google it when I first heard it! I had no idea what it was but I've always thought it sounded really good. I wonder why it never caught in around here... I may have to try this recipe so I can actually say I've tasted it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a rich, luscious dessert!

    ReplyDelete