Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Soft Pretzels

I remember always looking forward to getting a soft pretzel whenever I would go to a baseball, basketball, or hockey game with my dad when I was young. When I became part of the FD's family, I learned that soft pretzels were a delicious treat that his mom made quite often. I have adapted the recipe she gave me a bit, because the original recipe made over 50 pretzels. Sometimes, I want 50 pretzels. Sometimes I don't. If you do want 50 pretzels, just triple this recipe.

Soft Pretzels

2 tsp yeast
1/8 tsp + pinch salt
1 3/4 cups luke warm water
1/3 tsp white sugar
1/2 + 1/8 cup brown sugar
1/3 tsp vanilla
4-4.5 cup flour
3 heaping tablespoons baking soda
water

1. Mix together yeast, salt and lukewarm water. Add sugar. Let proof for 5-10 minutes, until foamy. Oops .... missed the picture of this step.

2. Add brown sugar and vanilla. Stir.

3. Slowly knead in flour, starting with 2 cups and adding 1/2 cup at a time, until dough forms together and does not cling to the bowl. Knead 5-6 minutes.


4. Transfer to a greased bowl. Cover and let rise 45-1 hour, until doubled in volume.

5. Punch down and knead 1-2 minutes.

6. Break off small chunks of dough and roll into 12'' ropes. Form into pretzels by flipping them in a crazy way. Seriously, there is no way to describe this in words. You just need to learn by trial and error.

7. Dissolve baking soda in water. Dip formed pretzels in baking soda/water mixture. This will help them brown up nicely.

9. Pat dry on paper towel.

10. Place on baking stone and sprinkle with coarse salt.

11. Bake at 500 for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.

Makes 15-17 pretzels.

This recipe is being shared at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday's at the Table, and Tasty Tuesday.

11 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I've always been a little daunted by making homemade pretzels, but it doesn't seem that hard :) Maybe I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! Seems much easier than other recipes I have seen for pretzels. I am going to give this one a shot next time we are entertaining. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! i am totally going to make these. homemade pretzels are the best :) it was one of the things we had to make in home ec. in 8th grade & everyone was always excited about pretzel day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I am a pretzel nut!! I may just have to try these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these look great and something I could do with the boys! I've always wanted to make them. Thanks so much I bookmarked.

    Stopping by from TMTT ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,Lucy, I just found your site today.and make the cobber.wow it trun out grate.My frist time to use a slow cooker that way.Thanks so much for sharing. Cathyjo

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, man. wow.

    love that there's vanilla in them -- you can't go wrong there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy, those look so yummy!!! Thanks for linking your recipe to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made homemade pretzels but that makes me wantta try LOL this would a fun thing to do with the grandkids, thanks for sharing

    Helen

    ReplyDelete