Saturday, September 12, 2009

Stuffed Up Meatballs

I'm sure many of you already subscribe to the Kraft What's Cooking magazine. If you don't, you should. It's free and it is chalked full of great ideas. While I don't necessarily love how often they rely on Kraft Dinner and stuffing mix in their recipes, there are always a few great recipes and ideas in each issue. I recently received the fall 09 issue and found a recipe for "the best meatballs". I have always made meatballs the way my mama taught me but I thought I'd give it a try. This is a great make now, eat later recipe. It makes a lot of meatballs and so you can put half (or more) in the freezer for future use.

Stuffed Up Meatballs - from Kraft What's Cooking
2 lbs extra lean ground meat (the recipe called for ground beef, I used venison. You could use turkey, pork, bison, whatever)
1 package stuffing mix for chicken
2 eggs
1 cup water

1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Form into balls. The recipe said this would make 32 meatballs but I ended up with 50 and I don't think mine were too small.

3. Place meatballs on a cookie sheet lined with foil and lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes, until done. I cooked most of mine in a roast pan with a rack. I like to do it this way so the grease drips off of them instead of staying in the meat.

4. Keep desired number of meatballs out. Cool and freeze the remaining ones. To freeze, place meatballs loosely in a freezer bag. Lay flat in the freezer to ensure that they freeze individually. Store up to three months.

I kept 15 out for dinner that night and put the remaining 35 in the freezer. I'm not sure these meatballs were any better than the recipe I usually use, but they were quick, easy and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment