Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Lazy Lucy's Cabbage Roll Casserole

I love cabbage rolls but I've always found the thought of making them to be quite intimidating. I've heard from some people that they aren't as hard or time consuming as you might think but I don't necessarily need to find out because this casserole gives me all the yummy goodness of cabbage rolls without all the work!

Lazy Lucy's Cabbage Roll Casserole
1 lb ground meat
1 onion, chopped
1 cup rice
1 large can diced tomatoes
1/4-1/2 head of green cabbage (depending on the size)
1 cup tomato sauce
Spices of your choice (I used up some of a ranch seasoning I had on hand but I usually do some kind of Italian blend)

1. Brown ground beef with onion. Meanwhile cook rice and boil cabbage. Once rice and meat are cooked, combine meat, rice, tomatoes and spices in a large bowl.

2. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer cabbage, meat mixture, cabbage, meat mixture until the dish is about 3/4 full. Top with additional spices, if desired.

3. Pour tomato sauce over top and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, until heated through. Or freeze for later use.

Serve topped with a dab of sour cream. Makes 6 servings.

This recipe is being linked at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you shared this recipe. I love cabbage rolls but find them to be so time consuming. I can't wait to try these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cabbage rolls too. My mom makes them a lot when we have big family gatherings, but they are SO much work. I may have to try this! thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my recipe blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this version of cabbage rolls. So much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea -- now I might actually try them (I'm one of those who didn't actually want to roll them...!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT!!! idea, I like this recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited about this! It sounds great! Also, do you have a problem with the rice getting soggy?

    ReplyDelete