Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Western Fritatta

This week for The Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge we were presented with the challenge of creating one of Brian Biotano's recipes. This was a challenge because he has very few recipes posted. However, I found his recipe for Spanish Tortilla and it looked like something that we would enjoy. When all is said and done, this recipe became something quite different than his original recipe but I still used his recipe for inspiration. One thing I didn't understand about the recipe was the cooking times. The original recipe said to cook the eggs in the pan for 2 minutes and in the oven for 5 minutes. That didn't seem like nearly long enough to me - I prefer my eggs to be well cooked.

Western Fritatta - inspired by Brian Biotano
EVOO
1.5 cup grated potato (3 small potatoes)
1 spanish onion, diced
1 cup diced ham
1 green pepper, chopped
8 oz mushrooms sliced
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in an oven safe skillet. Add the potatoes, mushrooms, peppers and onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the ham and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Place the eggs in a bowl and whisk until well blended. Stir in the grated cheese and mix to combine.

Add the egg and cheese mixture to the pan, season with salt and pepper and stir gently with a heat-proof spatula.

Reduce the heat to low and cook until the egg begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.

Put the pan in the oven until eggs are set and slightly puffed and brown on top, about 15-20 minutes.

Remove from the oven. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges and serve.

Makes 4-6 servings.

9 comments:

  1. yummy. I so wish I would have had mushrooms... that would make everything better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh this looks fab! I'm trying to decide if I have everything to make it for dinner tonight *L*

    ReplyDelete
  3. He uses a lot of hard-to-find ingredients, doesn't he? I substituted all the way through mine too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your take on the fritatta. I've never made one but I think my fmaily would like it. I substituted ingredients this week as well. Thanks for participating in FNCCC! Next week is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I have a recipe slightly similar and it does cook much longer than 5 minutes in the oven. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby likes his eggs as the recipe states -- just cooked enough to hold together, really moist. YUCK! I'm with you. Cook those things until they are nice and solid =)

    Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and snowhite made the same recipe! haha

    I loved spanish tortilla when I went over there to visit my sister. It was one of the safer- less spicy things. = )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! The photos are great with the recipes and you use fresh ingredients a lot which I am trying to incorporate more into my cooking! Keep up the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to remind you to come vote for your favorite entry on this week's Crock Pot Wednesday at Dining With Debbie. I really appreciat your entry and wish you the best. I look forward to getting to know you better. Thanks again, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete