Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Baked Eggs

Thanks to the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge I have been adding a ton of new recipes to the "to-try" list. One such recipe was, baked eggs. I'm not a huge breakfast fan, but the fabulous dude and many other members of my family are. When we have a big breakfast, we tend to stick to the traditional bacon and eggs repertoire. However, when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. When I made it, I didn't expect to like it. I tend to see egg recipes and think they sound so good but then when I eat them, I just don't like them. I have somewhat come to the sad realization that perhaps I just don't really care for eggs. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I ate this dish and it tasted just as good as it sounded!

This recipe has definitely made it's way into our recipe box and will be pulled out time and time again!

Baked Eggs - modified from Newlyweds
2 T butter
1/2 onion, minced
Salt and Pepper
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
A few handfuls of baby spinach
6 slices honey smoked ham
6 eggs
6 T heavy cream
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese

1. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms and salt and pepper and cook until onions and mushrooms are softened. Add spinach until wilted.

2. Place one slice of ham in the bottom of each of 6 buttered ramekins. Top with a spoonful of spinach/mushroom mixture. (Edited to add: the one thing I would do differently would be to shred the ham first. Having it as one piece made it somewhat difficult to eat without stuffing the entire piece in your mouth at once).

3. Crack an egg into each ramekin.

4. Add one T of heavy cream to each.

5. Sprinkle cheese on top of each dish.

6. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until egg whites are set and yolks are still runny. Serve with toast for dipping. As an aside, I don't care for a runny yolk, so I broke the yolk in one ramekin before baking it so that it would get hard and it worked perfectly. I also think I cooked them a bit too long because some of the other people who like a runny yolk said it wasn't really runny enough. Just keep an eye on the time and cook them to your preference!


This recipe is being shared at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. o. m. g. this looks AMAZING. I am a HUGE breakfast fan - it is my favorite meal of the day! Well, breakfast and dessert, of course. Is dessert a meal? Whatever.

    Anyway - I am always looking for new and different breakfast foodstuffs and this one fits the bill! I'm definitely going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this from the Newlyweds too -- so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh holy yummy! Well, minus the mushrooms for my personal preference reasons. Although it does look delicious with them!! Now I just have to be up and coherent early enough in the morning to make them. ;)

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy!

    I'm having my first giveaway, come and have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! looks and sounds YUMMY!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete