Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cheddar Beer Bread

Yesterday I set a new personal record for myself. It was the first time in my life that I opened a bottle of beer before 9 am!!

Cheddar Beer Bread - adapted from America's Best Breadmachine Baking Recipes
Makes a 1.5 LB loaf.
1 1/4 cups beer (which I discovered is exactly one bottle)**
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar (I put slightly less)
2 cups all purpose flour (bread flour if US)
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast

** You can replace the beer with water if you prefer. But then it would not be cheddar beer bread. It would be cheddar water bread. Whatever suits your preference.

1. Add all ingredients into bread pan in the order listed (or order recommended by your manufacturer). Select sweet cycle.

OR....

2. Select dough cycle.

3. When cycle is complete, turn dough onto lightly floured surface, gently knead for 2-3 minutes, working in a bit of flour.

4. Place in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise for 35-40 minutes, until bread crests the top of the pan.

5. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover with foil half way through cooking time to avoid burning the top.

This bread is delish. Very moist and light with a distinct cheesy flavor. It is definitely going to be making future appearances in our home. I have also made this recipe and shaped the dough into hamburger buns. When I did that, I added an extra 1/2 cup of cheese and kneaded it into the dough when I took it out of the bread maker, so they are little more cheesy. Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment