Tuesday, October 6, 2009

English Muffins

I'm not sure why it took me so long into my bread making bonanza to give English Muffins a try. We both love them and the FD, especially, loves having egg sandwiches for breakfast. I have had this recipe bookmarked for ages but finally got around to making it a few weeks ago. However, although the recipe says to cut them in 3'' circles, I found that the dough was elasticky, causing them to shrink down after being cut so we were left with about 50 mini English muffins. They still tasted good but you had to eat like three to get the effect of one and they didn't work so well for egg sandwiches. We still ate them, of course, and once they were gone, I decided to give it a try and learn from the past.

English Muffins - adapted from America's Best Breadmachine Baking Recipes
1 C milk
2 eggs
just under 1 tsp salt
2 T sugar
2 T oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour (or bread flour)
1 1/4 tsp yeast
Cornmeal for topping

1. Place all ingredients, EXCEPT CORNMEAL, in the breadpan in the order suggested by your manufacturer. Select dough cycle. When dough is complete, turn out onto a floured surface, knead gently and cover for 10-15 minutes.

2. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Make sure it is thin enough or else your English muffins may not cook through before burning.

3. Cut dough into 4 inch circles (again the recipe says 3 inch but when I used a smaller circle, I found they bounced down and became VERY tiny).

4. Place English muffins on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle cornmeal over tops as well. I need to practice this because I did a terrible job getting the cornmeal to spread evenly.

5. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes. This is what the recipe says although I had to let them rise for more than an hour, in a warm oven in order to get them to do anything. Next time, I think I'm going to experiment with adding a bit more yeast.

6. Heat an electric griddle to 350-400 (the recipe says 500 but mine only goes to 400 and even at this heat, they started to burn). Place English muffins on griddle and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until browned. Flip and continue cooking for another 5-6 minutes. English muffins are done when they are browned on either side.

Makes 24 English Muffins.

This recipe is being linked at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday.

9 comments:

  1. These look great - I LOVE english muffins. But...they also look like WAY too much work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Love that they have whole wheat -- I have yet to see a whole wheat recipe around here. Thanks again, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love english muffins but I don't know if I'd attempt these. Every few months or so, our grocery store sells them in packs of 6 for 25 cents! I buy a ton of them and stick them in the freezer. But I have to wonder if homemade is yummier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I love english muffin egg sandwiches. Problem is, if I had these, I'd want them everyday!! Two or three times a day.
    ;)
    I guess they'd be healthier than the applesauce donuts that I made for the kids for dinner last night though. Hey! Don't judge me. They had apples in them. haha.

    XO*T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never made english muffins. I always thought they would be harder to make. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful. I've made EM before but it has been a long while. I'll have to do them again! Thanks for the reminder :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what? I had no idea english muffins weren't cooked in an oven. Those look yummy! I may have to take the plunge and get a breadmaker after all.

    (Have you ever tried the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day method of making bread? http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe. Never thought to make my own English muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think i might try these this weekend.... they look yummy ^_^ thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete