Friday, February 26, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

I had ham and scalloped potatoes (recipe to come) on the menu last night so I decided to make some yummy biscuits to go with it. I searched for recipes similar to cracker barrel biscuits (even though I've never had them before) and found this one. I changed it a bit, adding some whole wheat flour, and they were delicious. Sorry that the pictures are all sideways and that I didn't get pictures of all the steps - I am out of the swing of things, I guess!
Buttermilk Biscuits - modified from here
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 T sugar
1/s tsp salt
1/3 cup Crisco shortening
1/8 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk*

**Don't have buttermilk? Just add a drop of vinegar into regular milk and let it stand for at least 10 minutes.

1. Mix flour, sugar, salt and criso until crumbly.

2. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk.

3. Add to flour mixture and mix until well combined.

4. Roll out to one inch thickness.

5. Cut into biscuits and arrange close together on baking stone.

6. Bake at 425 for 18-22 minutes, until brown.

Makes 10-12 biscuits.

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum! Cracker Barrel biscuits are the best! You should go there sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these sound and look yummy! we don't often have buttermilk biscuits -- but we enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete