Sunday, September 27, 2009

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't know about you but I still have zucchini coming in the garden. Some of us (not mentioning any names) are getting a bit tired of eating zucchini nearly every single day. I began searching for a chocolate zucchini cookie recipe and I eventually found one. I wrote it down on a piece of paper and lost the website where I got it, so if it looks familiar please let me know! After quite a few modifications, the recipe turned out quite well. The cookies have a distinct brownie texture, which I quite like.

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup applesauce (or all butter)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and egg, beat until smooth.

2. In a separate bowl, combine flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

3. Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. At this point the dough was VERY dry but I trusted that the zucchini would moisten the cookies and I am glad I trusted that because they turned out to be very moist.

4. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips. I had mini rainbow chips that I used but I wouldn't do this again. Some of the color of them ran off during baking, so they look white and kind of weird and gross in the baked cookies.

5. Drop cookies by the spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

  1. awesome!! These look fantastic -- I bet they were really chewy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man- someday I will have a garden that produces more zucchini than I know what to do with. On that day I will remember you and make these a million times. Someday.

    ReplyDelete