Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

Again, these muffins were made in preparation for our trip up north. I used Snow White's No-Oil Muffin Recipe for the base of the muffin. Although some of the muffins turned out a little bit flat, they taste quite yummy. The tartness of the rhubarb makes them a wee bit sour but I like them that way. If you are looking for a sweeter muffin, I would suggest tossing the fruit in a teaspoon or two of white sugar before adding it to the batter. When I tasted one after coming out of the oven, I was reminded of Tim Horton's Fruit Explosion muffins. I know most of you in the states won't know what I'm talking about but these muffins have a center filled with yummy jam-like fruity goodness. The juiciness of the fresh strawberries made the center ooey and gooey!

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins - adapted from Snow White
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
2/3 cup fresh or frozen rhubarb (feel free to play around with the amounts of each fruit, as long as it totals 1 cup)

1. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.

2. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and applesauce. Mix until combined.

3. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir until just moistened, do not overmix. Gently fold in strawberries and rhubarb.


4. Pour batter into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. yummy! my mom is bringing frozen rhubarb when she comes to visit -- these muffins are on my list :)

    ReplyDelete