God has blessed us with an abundance of zucchini from the garden. When I first posted the recipe for cherry chocolate chip muffins, my sister said that she wanted me to make them for her. I'll be visiting with her this weekend for my nephew's first birthday so I thought I'd take her some. Although, I change it up a bit this time to make use of the zucchini.
Zucchini Cherry Muffins
1/3 cup applesauce
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
just under 1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup sweet cherries, pitted and halved (1 cup would be fine but I am currently in use-up-what-I-have-mode so I threw in a few extra)
1. Beat together applesauce, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
2. Stir in zucchini.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Add cherries. Stir to coat.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet. Combine until moistened.
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
7. Bake at 400 for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Makes 18 muffins. I made 12 regular size and 12 minis (just the right size for the little ones). If you are going to make mini muffins, check them after 10-12 minutes.