Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cheesy Crackers

I have been eyeing up Snow White's Cheesy Crackers for quite some time and finally got around to making them. I doubled the batch and I am so glad that I did!

Cheesy Crackers
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups marble cheese (it would be better with a sharper cheese but this is all I had)
2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4-5 tbsp cold water
** You may also want to add 1-2 tsp ground flax seed, garlic powder and/or Parmesan cheese

1. Cream together butter and salt until creamy.

2. Stir in cheese.

3. Mix together dry ingredients and add to the butter and cheese mixture. Add ice cold water, 1 tbsp at a time until dough sticks together. Like Snow White, I had trouble getting the dough to stick together.

4. Place dough on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll out into 1/8 inch thickness. Again, like Snow White, there was no rolling involved here. Just mushing and flattening with my hands. I found it was helpful to have a small dish of ice cold water beside the pan. Stick your fingers in the water and press the dough down. Once your fingers get dry and the dough starts sticking to your hands, add more water.

5. Cut crackers into small squares using a pizza cutter.

6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and leave crackers inside to crisp up. Break apart and store in an air tight container in the fridge. Enjoy!

Everyone around here loved these yummy treats...

Actually, he didn't love them because they were a bit too hard for his two wee teeth to chew, but the picture is cute!

3 comments: