Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pork Souvlaki


This weeks' Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge chef was Cat Cora. I liked the look of a lot of her recipes but in the end chose to stick with pork souvlaki. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't want a ton of leftovers so I've posted the recipe according to what I did.

Pork Souvlaki - from Cat Cora
4 skewers (wooden or metal)
2 large boneless pork chops cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 .5 T EVOO
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chewy pitas
Toppings: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, black olives, red onions, feta cheese, tzaztiki sauce

1. In a bowl stir together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, thyme, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over pork. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. I let it marinate for 24 hours.

2. If using wooden skewers, let them soak in water for at least 1 hour. Place meat on skewers.

3. Lay on a hot grill and grill slowly continuing to brush on marinade, until meat is done.

4. Serve immediately in a pita, topped with toppings of your choice.

Makes 3-4 servings.

We look Greek food so we really enjoyed this served with a side of roasted potatoes and a coleslaw. I know the coleslaw doesn't really go, but I had some cabbage to get used up. The only thing we noticed was that the red wine vinegar overpowered some of the other flavours. Either I forgot to cut that amount in half or else it was just too strong. I would recommend using less.

And now that I have fresh dill and plain yogurt in the fridge leftover from making taztiki sauce, I am going to make my favourite bread - yogurt and dill bread *seriously - if you are ever looking for a way to use up fresh dill, this is the way.

7 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love soft pitas with tazatki (or whatever) sauce. SO GOOD! Thanks for cooking along with the FNCCC :) See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum.. makes me want to grill!

    hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would've found this recipe! It looks really good.

    P.S. I'll definitely ask hubby for his wonton recipe tonight and post it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! Thanks for posting your bread recipe too, I always have a stupid amount of dill leftover when I use fresh for something =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look delicious! I appreciate the link to the soft pitas too; i don't think I could buy anything that would fold so nicely to hold the fillings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks YUMMY! I think I"m going to have to bookmark this to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoot! Whoot! So glad I found your recipe to try. This is one of the take-out dishes I miss the most from Nova Scotia. Can't find this stuff in Kansas ;o)

    ReplyDelete