Tuesday, September 22, 2009

White Onion Bread

Marriage is about compromise. It means that every once in a while we have to do something that we thought we would never do. Like make white bread.

The fabulous dude really is quite fabulous. He never complains about anything I make (even though sometimes he requests to have 'meatloaf. just plain old meatloaf') and always expresses appreciation. The only problem is, he really really loves white bread. And I really don't. Not just because it's not very healthy, I think it's kind of gross in fact. I modify every single bread recipe I try to use as much whole wheat flour as possible. But, when I asked him what kind of bread he wanted this week and he looked at me with those sweet puppy dog eyes and said, "how about some white bread?" I couldn't say no.

White Onion Bread - adapted from America's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes
1 1/4 c water
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1 T olive oil
3 3/4 cup white flour
1/3 cup dry milk powder
just less than 1/4 cup minced onion flakes
1 tsp yeast

1. Measure ingredients into bread pan in order listed. Select regular cycle (1.5 lb loaf) or dough cycle.

2. If using dough cycle, when complete, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 1-2 minutes. Shape into desired loaf and place in greased loaf pan.

3. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

4. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped.

For white bread, this is quite good. The onion flavour really adds a lot, in my opinion. I will definitely try something similar again and adapt it to whole wheat.... unless the FD asks really nicely.

2 comments:

  1. have you ever tried making white bread with a white whole wheat flour???

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I think this would be GREAT!!! with a YUMMY!!! soup or chili. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete