Friday, February 20, 2009

My Favourite Loaf

Update: I just realized I forgot to put the directions on this recipe. Oops. I've added them below.

I know I've been slow at posting the bread recipes I've been trying. I have a whole stack of recipes and photos to be shared, I just have had trouble getting around to doing it.

In a month and a half of experimenting, here's my favourite plain old sandwich bread recipe so far. I've tried some others that are more delicious for speciality types of bread, but I find this one works the best for sandwiches and toast. I've been making this one regularly as our "eating" bread and then trying out different recipes here and there for other occasions.

I got the recipe here and of course, have tried a few different things to see what works. Below is my version.

Bread Maker Mixed Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water (the two extra tablespoons add enough extra liquid to compensate for the drier whole wheat flour).
2 tablespoons oil (you can also use unsweetened apple sauce)
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I haven't been using bread flour - just plain old ww and it's working fine)
2 tablespoons powdered milk
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon gluten (I cut down on the original recipe and sometimes I don't put any in at all - Canadian flour has a higher gluten content than US flour. If you are in the states I would recommend using bread flour and including more gluten).
3 teaspoons active dry yeast.

1. Place ingredients in your bread maker in the order listed. Select the dough setting. The original recipe says to open the lid a few minutes in and scrape the dough and then take it out part way through rather than letting the cycle complete itself. Meh, I'm too lazy. I've never opened the lid to scrape down the ingredients and I've also left it in until the end of the cycle. Once, I took it out at the time the recipe stated to see if there was a difference. I didn't think there was. Just do whatever suits your timing needs best. I also have split this into two loaves because I found that one loaf was a bit too big. Sort of reminded me of the Mother Loaf.

2. When the cycle is complete, turn the dough onto a well floured surface.

3. Separate the dough into two sections (if you'd like) and knead for about 3-4 minutes.

4. Shape and place in greased loaf pan.

5. Heat oven to 375. Cover bread and let rise on stove until the oven is heated.

6. Bake for 20 minutes. Cover with foil and bake another 15 minutes.

7. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack until cool. Slice and enjoy.

Sorry, I have no photos of this bread. I guess that's because it's kind of boring and plain. Or maybe because it's too yummy and we eat it before I get a chance to take a photo? I will post more bread recipes soon!

Check out the GCC for more yummy recipes (bread and otherwise).

No comments:

Post a Comment