Monday, September 28, 2009

Pumpernickel Bread

Pumpernickel Bread - modified from America's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes
1 1/4 cups cold coffee
2 T vinegar
1 tsp salt
3 T molasses
3 T oil
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cups rye flour
2 T cocoa powder
2 tsp caraway seeds (I didn't have these but google told me that I could sub poppy seeds so I did that)
1 1/2 tsp yeast

1. Place all ingredients in the bread pan. Select dough cycle.

2. When cycle is complete, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and let rest for 15 minutes.

3. Shape into a round loaf and place on a stone baking pan.

4. Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes, until doubled. Bake at 350-375 for 30-40 minutes until top is dark and bread sounds hallow.

I served this as a bread bowl with spinach dip inside. Yum, yum. Was it ever tasty!!

2 comments:

  1. I really want a bread maker. Is there a particular brand that I should look for or are all bread machines equal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm this looks like it'd make really yummy bread bowls for stew! My thinking is to split up the bread and cook it in separate smaller bread bowls, maybe 4 per loaf? Looks good!

    ReplyDelete