Monday, October 19, 2009

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins

The FD's aunt made these delightful muffins last autumn and I have been thinking of them ever since. Rumour has it that Starbucks has given them a whirl as well. I looked through a number of recipes online and finally decided that I was going to combine a bunch of different ones and see what happened. In the end I used this and this recipe as the basis for the muffins.

These muffins are a real treat. They take a bit of preparation but it's worth it. Seriously, they're divine. If you live near me, maybe if you hurry you can get one before I eat them all. I'm debating hiding them so FD doesn't see them. I want them ALL to myself.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins

For the filling:
3/4 cup cream cheese (I used light - 44% less fat - because if you couldn't tell this recipe is ALL about the nutrition)
3/4 cup icing sugar

For the muffins:
2 cup flour (1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup all purpose)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups pumpkin
1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla

For the topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 T butter
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup granola

1. Beat cream cheese and icing sugar until well combined. Set aside. I followed the instructions from this recipe and froze it in a log but I found that it didn't really work that way. So, I would suggest just setting it in the fridge until you're ready for it and then using a spoon to put it in the muffins.

2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices.

3. Beat together eggs, pumpkin, applesauce and vanilla.

4. Add dry ingredients and combine until an even batter is formed.

5. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full (I filled mine WAY too full). I only made 12 muffins and could have easily made 18. Don't use all the batter.

6. Spoon a dollop of cream cheese mixture into each muffin and use your finger to press it down into the batter.

7. Use remaining batter to cover cream cheese.

8. Mix together streusel ingredients and sprinkle over the tops of the muffins.

9. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy! Makes 12 (gargantuan) muffins or 18 regular muffins. I only made 12 and they are too big. I can only eat 1/2 at a time because they are so rich.

This recipe is being linked at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday's at the Table, Newlywed's Pumpkin Roundup and the Ultimate Recipe Swap.

12 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. I am hyperventilating. These sound SOOOOO amazing and I am making them tonight! I just need to get some more...sugar. And I need some applesauce. And - is icing sugar confectioner's sugar? It looks like it is. And what are your thoughts about just regular oats instead of granola?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok these are just not right, I think I've gained 5 lbs just reading them, let me wipe the drool off my keyboard, oh yum!!!

    I can never had too much pumpkin or cream cheese for that fact, ha ha.

    Thanks for linking up to the pumpkin roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look un-freaking-believable! I am so making these....

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! these sound wonderful. Anytime with cream cheese goes in my recipe box. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  5. those look way to yummy, I'm going to have to try them. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man. I've got to stop finding all these delicious muffin recipes... you know they are my weakness....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I must have these like immediatly. What are you doing to me? Ahhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look quite delicious! I am a muffinaholic :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound so good! Pumpkin, cream cheese, and a streusel topping? I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, YUM!! I can't wait to try these! Thanks for sharing with TATT.

    ReplyDelete